Many of us love our cleansing brushes (and I am sure many of us have them on our wish lists for Christmas this year!)
|Clarisonic Cleansing Brush|
But using your brushes the wrong way could cause more damage to skin than you think! So I will break down the signs of misuse AND the do's and don'ts!
Signs you're overusing or misusing your cleansing brush:
- increased breakouts
- excessively dry skin
- irritation and increased sensitivity
- Don't combine the use of your cleansing brush with a chemical exfoliator, its too much exfoliation for the skin
- Don't use in conjunction with a scrub, it will scrub off too much skin
- NEVER share your cleansing brush with another (just get separate brush heads and change them with each person's use)
- Don't over-use it. Every other day is typically the use the average person should go for
- Don't 'push' it into your skin. These brushes were made to work without having to press hard onto the skin, it will just cause irritation
- Don't use on sensitive breakouts, it will only irritate skin and spread the bacteria from the breakouts!
- when using a sonic brush (like the Clarisonic) make sure to cleanse makeup off FIRST then re-lather and use the brush - sonic brushes 'push' cleanser deep into pores, if you have lots of makeup or oil on your face, it will push that in too (this is super important!)
- Rinse the brush head off with soap & water after each use, detach and let air dry
- use alcohol to cleanse every so often OR zap the brush head in the microwave for 10 seconds to kill bacteria
- Change the brush head every 3 months
- Get the jawline well (a common place for buildup)
What's the difference in the expensive vs. other brushes?
$30 Oil of Olay Cleansing Brush
This is what is considered to be an exfoliating or 'scrubbing' brush - because the brush head moves back and forth to create friction that scrubs skin. Yes, it IS better than just using your hands BUT, it can be very irritating!
$120 Clarisonic Mia
This is the only brush that offers true 'sonic' technology, which means it sends a pulse that actually breaks up residue (makeup, oil, dirt, pollutants, dead skin) and wipes it away. Which is WAY more powerful than just a scrubbing brush!!! Its totally worth the additional cost!
Check out how much more clean skin surface was with a sonic cleansing brush vs. a scrubbing brush: